- CPT is employment that is required for your major or is for internship course credit. Examples: internships, and cooperative education.
- Students must have maintained F-1 status for one academic year.
- Part-time CPT is 20 hours a week or less. If done during the school year, students must maintain full time status. It has no effect on OPT.
- Full-time CPT is more than 40 hours a week.If you do more than 12 months of full-time CPT, you lose your OPT option.
- Before starting work in a CPT position, a student must have authorization from the International Student Advisor. After you receive endorsement, you may begin CPT on the start date indicated.
- You cannot start CPT until date authorized by the Advisor. You also cannot work past the date authorized by your advisor unless you apply for and are granted an extension of your permission to work.
* If you enroll for additional internship credit, you must renew CPT with the International Student Advisor.
The above information is provided by: